During my last project I was extremely perplexed with the consistency of my milk paint. I think it was inexperience more than anything. This time I had a strange clarity, which gives credence to the old adage about getting off your duff and getting into the shop.
I’m not sure if it was the slightly modified ratio or the extended setup time but I developed a strong love of milk paint during this build. I think Schwarz’s recipe (2:1 water to paint) is a bit too running for my taste. I like the 1:1 ratio a little better but with a moderately heavy hand on the water. Plus, I let the mixture set over night this time and the consistency was perfect and easy to use.
I started with a base layer of the
orange persimmon from my previous bench build. This was good in theory but if you followed me on IG during this time, you’ll note I put about 100 coats (or maybe six) of Federal Blue to get the top color I desired.
With the color finally right, I called in the steady hand of my wife to paint the letters using white acrylic from Michaels. She’s a perfectionist and normally really good at these things, but the uneven textures, cheap brushes (?), and slight imperfections of the CNCed letters made this impossible to get exact. She was mortified at the job she did but I assured her it was fine. I took some 220 sandpaper to each letter and got rid of all the areas where her hand wandered. It looks a little rustic but that’s kinda the vibe I was after.
If anyone has experience painting letters like this, please leave a comment below. We tried strategic blue taping but that was tedious. I really got into every nook and cranny with sand paper and modified plastic scrapers to make the lettering areas as smooth as possible. Also, I’m not opposed to finer or higher quality brushes but this is a new area for us and I simply don’t know the tools.
So, with sandpaper in hand, I selected a few areas to sand thru to the orange layer. Then it was time for some polyacrylic top coat.
In my next, and final post, I’ll show off some glamour shots and give a few shout outs to those that made this possible.