I know. It’s been a while…
Since my last post, I’ve made two trips to Florida, quit my job, started another one, and finished a few woodworking projects – including this one that made it’s way to the PopWood blog. Obviously, there’s been a lot more but I’m just hitting the high notes. This new job puts me on the road a bit more, which could be good for the blog (because I’ll have more time to post), or bad for the blog (because I’ll have less time to build). I’m not sure yet. We’ll just have to see.
To get the juices flowing, and in keeping with the season, here are pictures of the pumpkins I started last fall but never got around to painting. They’ve been adorning the front yard for about an month and look much better than they would not decomposing in a landfill. I’ve been trying to up my game in the milk paint/finishing department. I scoured Pinterest and found this helpful article. I know some thumb their noses at projects like this because they are not “fine” woodworking. Whatevs. I like color, I like painting, and I actually like the shabby chic look. Plus my daughters wanted decorations in the front yard so this was way better than buying something.
The pumpkins sat in the basement for about a week as I tried to rig up some complicated contraption (like a folding triangular stand using butt hinges and stakes) to stand them up and make sure they didn’t topple over. Then I recalled Occam’s Razor:
The small pumpkins are simply leaning against their larger brethren. We had heavy winds a few days ago and the small ones fell over. To combat this issue I simply picked them up and lean them up again; problem solved.