As discussed, ad nauseam, I’ve been trying to finish up The Dresser. The dearth of information here at the blog is due to the work I’ve been putting in on the drawers. Well, that and the holidays. I was hoping to document a few things while lounging on the couch but instead we’ve had the dreaded Christmas stomach bug visiting us this holiday season. Nice.
Anyway, getting back to Christmas: I’ve built at least one thing for the past seven or eight years. I thought I might break the streak until two stars aligned online. The first was a email from Rockler saying this bottle opener kit was on sale. The next was an email from my cousin asking for one in his stocking. My cousin and I are more like brothers so, I knew I could squeeze in one quick project.
The plans from Rockler are pretty self explanatory but I took a bunch of pictures, which I couldn’t post during the build without spoiling the surprise. Hopefully, you’ll find these useful if you decide to make them. It all starts with a knife scale of bloodwood and a few bits of metal.
It was an easy and fun build. Plus the little bit of metalworking got me excited to do more in the future.One lesson learned: I wasted a lot of epoxy just making one so I’ll definitely make them in batches next time. And here’s a last piece of advice: watch this video from Lin over at Darbin Orvar (one of my daughter’s favorites). She has a few techniques I’ll be stealing for a production run in the future.
Merry belated Christmas and Happy New Year!