If you’re new to this blog, then you may not have heard the saga that is The Dresser. You might’ve seen it in the background of nearly every picture since April of 2014. For the past six months I’ve been picking away at the drawers (seven of them) in between other projects. I’ve made lots of progress updates on IG but nothing over here on the blog. I hope to remedy this today.
Back in September I had some time after finishing up my little girl’s adirondack chair. At the time, and still to this day, I needed get started on a Dining Room table for us but I’m not completely clear on my design. Tom Buhl and I have started a dialogue on this and I plan to draw upon his vast design and build knowledge (thanks Tom). Anyway, it was September. I was hesitant to get started on the drawers because I’ve never cut a dovetailed drawer, let alone seven. Furthermore, I’ve only ever fit a drawer once and now I need to do it seven times.
Fortunately, I got over my fears and started cutting wood. I didn’t want to set up the dado stack because I have two different sizes of plywood for the bottoms so I just used the regular combination blade. This is one of those times where I can’t believe how easily things went. It only took about an hour to cut the bottom grooves in all the parts.
This post is long overdue as the work’s been done for many months. I makes me wonder: maybe, secretly, I don’t want this project to end. After all, it’s been a fixture in my shop for so long I’m not sure what I’ll do with all the space. My oldest was in utero when I bought the wood. Alas, I need to make room for the Dining Room table build, which is next (ish). All the dovetails are “cut” but I need to fine tune them and glue up the drawers. Hopefully I’ll have some gumption left in the tank after all this yard work I’ve been doing for the past month. Wish me luck.