You may recall my comments about not likely the louvered doors on the Living Room built in way back when the renovation started . I removed the doors a few weeks ago during the heart of the project. As part of my Father’s Day post, I started going through the therapeutic process of smashing removing the louvers. Here are some more detailed pictures of how I did it.
Once the slats were removed, I had to figure out how to install a panel without too much effort. I decided to make a rabbet all the way around the inside of the door frame to house a flat plywood panel. This goes with the simple Shaker style much more akin to our tastes. I used a marking gauge and router to put a rabbet all the way down the inside of the frame opening.
Things were going fine until I readjusted my clamps and accidentally bumped the depth stop. Ouch…that sucked.
I figured I’d have to do a patch and kept on truckin.
I was happy when the power tool work was done that evening so I could get back to squaring up the rounded corners with a chisel. Easy peasy. The next task was to cut some leftover 1/2″ plywood into panels and apply some glue. The glue up was more tricky than I thought but it worked.
I installed a small dowel into the gaping hole, flushed it up, and sanded it down. The final step was to spray paint the old hardware, re-attached, and sit back to admire.
Here’s what it looked like in the end. I gotta say, I’m pretty happy with the results.