Once the pieces were planed, sanded, and prepped, it was time to break out the hide glue and cut nails. I was nervous about this operation because I didn’t want to split this old maple. My first stop, like normal, was to see what The Schwarz had to say about this stuff. Here and here is what he had to say. I studied both of these intently.
In a perfect world, you should test the pilot holes and nail lengths in some test pieces. Unfortunately, I didn’t have any spare maple. So, I decided to start on the back panel as my test piece. I busted out the new drill, took a few deep breaths and went for it. All’s well that ends well.
With the back and sides glued and attached, I knocked the bottom in and then fit the front. It wasn’t as easy as it sounds but it did go together after some creative clamping. And since I’ll be painting this, I knew I could strategically place some wedges and wood putty after the fact.
Words can’t describe how quickly this joinery comes together. I’ll be nailing lots more stuff going forward. If you haven’t tried this, please do.