This post has been a few weeks in the making but with WIA and other travel, I haven’t had a chance to jot down my thoughts. My last post dealt with discovering a huge mistake I’d made ages ago. As I was trying to figure out how to fix it, I hemmed and hawed, went back and forth, and dreamed up unique setups on my MFT. I posted a question in a forum but wasn’t really happy with the answer. The paralysis by analysis was setting in and I knew I just need to get something done.
Then the light bulb turned on: I remembered making story stick when I first laid out the dado locations for the drawers. It survived The Move and was in good condition. Then I remembered a post about router jigs from Glen Huey. After the fact I realize Glen’s method is a little bit better than mine but I didn’t want to continue the paralysis by analysis so I made what I remembered from reading the post.
From start to finish the jig took about 10 minutes and that’s the point Glen, and others, are trying to convey. I HATE making jigs but it was really the easiest solution to my problem and it only took a few minutes and used up some scrap. After the glue dried, I checked the jig for square and went to work on the dadoes.
After the completing the new dadoes they were much better than my first attempt but they weren’t perfect. I decided to go ahead and do a dry fit just to see how everything looked. The glue up proved the little error I had doesn’t make a big difference, so I’m going forward with the piece as is.